Former under-23 world champion Alexey Lutsenko surged 15 km from Salon de Provence to move six seconds short of the Paris-Nice yellow jersey, still held by Michael Matthews at the end of stage 5 on Friday. The Kazah earned the stage laurels with a 21seconds lead over what remained of the pack after a succession of climbs including the Ventoux early in a 198-km ride from St Paul-Trois Chateaux. Australia's Matthews salvaged his overall lead thanks to his third place in the stage in the...
"I attacked in the last climb. I managed to take some 40 seconds and I rode the last 25 kilometres solo. It's my second World Tour victory after a stage on the Tour of Switzerland last year. But it's my best victory of the season, for me and for the team. Tomorrow, we will see."
The stage in videos
- Caméra Embarquée - Étape 5
- Summary - Stage 5...
The stage in pictures
Paris-Nice 2016 - 11/03/2016 - Etape 5 - Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux - Salon-de-Provence (198 Km) - HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus, Movistar Team, Maillot à pois de meilleur grimpeur © ASO/G.Demouveaux
Jersey wearers after the stage 7
- 03/13Thomas fends off Contador challenge...
- 03/13Onboard - Étape 7 - Paris-Nice 2016
- 03/13Summary - Stage 7 (Nice / Nice) -...
- 03/13Alberto Contador: "I don"t like...
- 03/13Richie Porte: "A little surprise"
- 03/13Duchesne: "My greatest achievement"
- 03/13Tim Wellens: "A great victory"
- 03/13Geraint Thomas: "I'm over the moon"
- 03/12Sky ready to maintain Paris-Nice...
Receive exclusive news about Paris-Nice